B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
There are two concentrations in our department.
To see the degree plan for the electrical engineering concentration please follow this link: Electrical Engineering degree plan.
Follow this link to see the degree plan for the computer engineering concentration: Computer Engineering degree plan.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by apply principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration to public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, established goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions and improve processes.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- An ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A commitment to quality, timeliness and continuous improvement.
Program Educational Objectives
A. Mission Statement of Texas Southern University
Texas Southern University is a student-centered comprehensive doctoral university committed to ensuring equality, offering innovative programs that are responsive to its urban setting, and transforming diverse students into lifelong learners, engaged citizens, and creative leaders in their local, national, and global communities.
B. Program Educational Objectives
Are statements that describe the expected accomplishments of graduates during their first few years after graduation. The audiences for objective statements are external constituents such as prospective students, employers, transfer institutions and student sponsors.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering program (ECE) broadly emphasizes the following listed objectives and operating goals that are consistent with the mission statement, as well as the institutional plans for achieving them. The ECE program educational objectives are to assure that students who complete the degree plan in this program have the knowledge and skills.
An accredited baccalaureate program in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) will achieve the following objectives:
- The knowledge, technical and managerial skills necessary to enter careers (entry level) in the field of engineering practice.
- Graduates are expected to be prepared to solve engineering problems by application of knowledge of mathematics and science principles.
- Graduates should continuous seek opportunities to improve their knowledge and skills by means of obtaining advance degrees, certificates, or training programs offered by employers.
- Recognize the value of diversity, identify ethical and societal issues in business and technical tasks.
In order to achieve this mission, Texas Southern University provides
- Quality instruction in a culture of innovative teaching and learning;
- Basic and applied research and scholarship that is responsive to community issues;
- Opportunities for public service that benefit the community and the world.